<i18n dev> RFR: 8294008: Grapheme implementation of setText() throws IndexOutOfBoundsException

Joe Wang joehw at openjdk.org
Mon Sep 19 22:10:17 UTC 2022

On Mon, 19 Sep 2022 21:02:38 GMT, Naoto Sato <naoto at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> src/java.base/share/classes/sun/util/locale/provider/BreakIteratorProviderImpl.java line 329:
>>
>>> 327:         @Override
>>> 328:         public int length() {
>>> 329:             return src.getEndIndex();
>>
>> Could the issue be somewhere else?  I mean it feels correct for length = endIndex - beginIndex.
>
> It's somewhat confusing as this class adapts `CharacterIterator` into `CharSequence` which are similar to each other (thus the bug). Those `beginIndex`/`endIndex` designate the range in the source `CharacterIterator`, and this `length()` method should return the entire text length of the `CharSequence` nevertheless, thus it should start from `0` to `endIndex`.

Yeah, I saw there's a mismatch between the src and limit in this call that led to the index check Exception:
286             for (int b = ci.getBeginIndex(); b < end;) {
287                 boundaries.add(b);
288                 b = Grapheme.nextBoundary(text, b, end);
289             }

and nextBoundary could walk through the entire CharSequence. Maybe it's worth a note to the length() method.