<i18n dev> RFR: 8321206: Make Locale related system properties static properties

David Holmes dholmes at openjdk.org
Wed Dec 6 02:24:36 UTC 2023

On Tue, 5 Dec 2023 23:04:55 GMT, Naoto Sato <naoto at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Currently, Locale-related system properties, such as `user.language` or `user.country`, are initialized when the `Locale` class is loaded. Making them static properties is safer than relying on the class initialization timing, which could potentially be changed depending on the implementation.

Can I also suggest that you change the bug and PR synopsis to say `StaticProperty` rather than `static properties` as I found it quite confusing to understand the issue.

> Making them static properties is safer than relying on the class initialization timing

"class initialization" refers to the static initialization of a class. I assume that is not what you mean here but the creation of the instance of the class? Even `StaticProperty` still initializes these things during class initialization, so I'm unclear exactly what this is trying to say.