<i18n dev> RFR: 8302871: Speed up StringLatin1.regionMatchesCI [v13]

Eirik Bjorsnos duke at openjdk.org
Wed Feb 22 19:35:18 UTC 2023

> This PR suggests we can speed up `StringLatin1.regionMatchesCI` by applying 'the oldest ASCII trick in the book'.
>
> The new static method `CharacterDataLatin1.equalsIgnoreCase` compares two latin1 bytes for equality ignoring case. `StringLatin1.regionMatchesCI` is updated to use `equalsIgnoreCase`
>
> To verify the correctness of `equalsIgnoreCase`, a new test is added  to `EqualsIgnoreCase` with an exhaustive verification that all 256x256 latin1 code point pairs have an `equalsIgnoreCase` consistent with Character.toUpperCase, Character.toLowerCase.
>
> Performance is tested for matching and mismatching cases of code point pairs picked from the ASCII letter, ASCII number and latin1 letter ranges. Results in the first comment below.

Eirik Bjorsnos has updated the pull request with a new target base due to a merge or a rebase. The incremental webrev excludes the unrelated changes brought in by the merge/rebase. The pull request contains 20 additional commits since the last revision:

 - Merge branch 'master' into regionmatches-latin1-speedup
 - Make the loop variables chars to avoid casting
 - Use improved case-twiddling comment as suggested by Martin
 - Replace 'oldest ASCII trick in the book' use in toUpperCase, toLowerCase with "by removing (setting) a single bit"
 - Align local variable naming in toLowerCase, toUpperCase with equalsIgnoreCase by using 'lower' and 'upper'
 - Rename unconventionally named local variable 'U' to 'upper'
 - Merge remote-tracking branch 'origin/master' into regionmatches-latin1-speedup
 - Add whitespace between methods
 - Merge branch 'master' into regionmatches-latin1-speedup
 - Remove whitespace following '('
 - ... and 10 more: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/compare/ea132c56...fe4efe9f

Changes:
  - all: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/12632/files
  - new: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/12632/files/cc185293..fe4efe9f

Webrevs:
 - full: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=12632&range=12
 - incr: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=12632&range=11-12

  Stats: 1397 lines in 120 files changed: 873 ins; 291 del; 233 mod
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.org/jdk pull/12632/head:pull/12632

PR: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/12632