<i18n dev> RFR: 8302813: awt.image.incrementaldraw can use Boolean.parseBoolean() to parse the system property

Phil Race prr at openjdk.org
Thu Feb 23 22:24:05 UTC 2023

On Sat, 18 Feb 2023 22:18:52 GMT, SWinxy <duke at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Please review this change which moves the parsing of the `awt.image.incrementaldraw` property from the static initializer block into the field itself by invoking `Boolean.parseBoolean()` on the system property getter.
>
> Hopefully in the near future we can do away with `AccessController`s and simply go with `System.getProperty` :)

This change is both un-needed and wrong.

The property is not normally set so GetPropertyAction returns null
Boolean.parseBoolean(null) will return Boolean.FALSE
However the existing code treats null (unspecified) the same as TRUE

So your proposed change breaks apps for no value.

How did you test it ? I see no test here, nor indication that you ran it.

This speaks to how these "harmless" changes can be anything but,
and it takes time and effort to review them for no value to our end-users.

BTW its bizarre to suggest updating this one but not incRate.

However I see no need for this change at all.

So please stop proposing changes that add no value to users and maybe
instead focus on some small test and functional fixes.