<i18n dev> RFR: JDK-8305206: Add @spec tags in java.base/java.* (part 1)

Jonathan Gibbons jjg at openjdk.org
Thu Mar 30 20:45:10 UTC 2023

On Thu, 30 Mar 2023 17:24:11 GMT, Jonathan Gibbons <jjg at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Please review a change to add `@spec` tags (and remove some equivalent `@see` tags) to the main "core-libs" packages in `java.base` module.
>
> This is similar to, and a subset of, PR #11073.   That PR was withdrawn, and based on the ensuing discussion and suggestion, is now being handled with a series of PRs for various separate parts of the system.  Follow-up PRs will be provided for the rest of `java.base`, for `java.desktop`, and for XML APIs.  The "LangTools" modules have already been updated.  The "External Specifications" page has been temporarily [disabled][] until this work is complete.
>
> While the primary content of the change was automated, I've manually adjusted the formatting, to break long lines.
>
> It is clear there is significant inconsistency in the ordering of block tags in doc comment.   We might want to (separately) consider normalizing the order of the tags, perhaps according to the order defined for the tags in the generated output, as given [here][]
>
> [here]: https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/83cf28f99639d80e62c4031c4c9752460de5f36c/make/Docs.gmk#L68
> [disabled]: https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/83cf28f99639d80e62c4031c4c9752460de5f36c/make/Docs.gmk#L115

> I skimmed through the changes and it looks quite good, much more workable than PR 11073.
>
> Do you have a proposed ordering with other tags? I expected it would go with @see but I see several where @SPEC is before @author, and @see after @author. I know it doesn't really matter.

The initial assumption was "after the @param/@return/@throws group". Overall, as I said in the description for this PR, the block tags are not very consistent about ordering. I was thinking we might want to recommend an overall ordering, but I'm worried it would be too intrusive a change to apply generally.  In the description, I suggested an ordering based on the
order in `Docs.gmk` which defines the order in which tags appear in the generated output.