<i18n dev> RFR: 8308046: Move Solaris related charsets from java.base to jdk.charsets module [v2]

Ichiroh Takiguchi itakiguchi at openjdk.org
Sat May 20 01:06:59 UTC 2023

On Thu, 18 May 2023 00:50:22 GMT, Naoto Sato <naoto at openjdk.org> wrote:

>>> Hello @naotoj . I'm not sure we can remove Solaris related charsets. Somebody may use them for text communication between Solaris.
>>
>> OK, maybe not now.
>>
>> I think the fix may be simplified by changing access for those `DoubleByte-X.java.template` internals, such as `DecodeHolder` to `public`, instead of introducing those access methods. You can import classes in `java.base/sun.nio.cs` with the wild card so that it would work on all platforms (`Big5` either in `java.base` or `jdk.charsets`)
>>
>> Also, please drop `Japanese` from the issue/PR title
>
>>You can import classes in `java.base/sun.nio.cs` with the wild card so that it would work on all platforms (`Big5` either in `java.base` or `jdk.charsets`)
>
> Scratch that, you've already did it. Then you can remove these:
>
> import sun.nio.cs.DoubleByte;
> import sun.nio.cs.HistoricallyNamedCharset;

Hello @naotoj .
I'd like to confirm about DoubleByte-X.java.template and EUC_JP.java.template.
I think the values are package-private.
Even if class is changed to `public`, the classes in`sun.nio.cs.ext` package could not access to these values in `sun.nio.cs` package...
I may be misunderstanding your suggestion, could you tell me more ?