<i18n dev> RFR: 8330954: Fix remaining `@since` tags in `java.base`

Chen Liang liach at openjdk.org
Sun May 5 23:33:04 UTC 2024

Those overriding methods don't even appear on the javadoc output. If you go to search for `CompletableFuture.resultNow` on https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/22/docs/api/ you will find nothing. Why are we fixing "broken since tags" that don't even exist in the first place?

Also have you looked at the output documentation? Without the `@inheritDoc` tags the content will only have a since tag, which is definitely wrong.

> Recent [offline] discussions have showed that dealing with `@since` in overriding methods is complicated.
> The solution is to add an explicit `@since` to some overriding methods that do not have any javadoc as the only `@since` we can infer is that of the enclosing class.

If possible, I wish the others who joined the offline discussion can take part here. It seems you have some trouble understanding that overriding methods without explicit documentation are ignored by javadoc, and this ignorance makes the `@since` tags correct...