Proposal: Drop Stripped Implementations from Java SE 8

Jochen Wiedmann jochen.wiedmann at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 08:48:16 PST 2014

Mark,

I hsve just read for the first time about stripping. So, bear with me, if
that comment comes comparatively (and probably: too) late. Nevertheless,
I'd like to add the following notes (perhaps with Java 9 in mind):

1.) If you are going to permit stripped implementations, I see no sense in
the following part

  A Stripped Implementation, once created, cannot be changed. No further
elements may be added or removed.

What's the point? The actual result is not different from performing both
steps in the first place.

2.) If stripped implementations are permitted: What's the point in
rejecting repackaging, like some Linux distributions (Debian, Ubuntu, or
the JPackage project come to my mind) did in the past? I admit that this
point is no longer as important as it was (with OpenJDK and IcedTea
becoming very mature and floating all around). Nevertheless, from the view
of practicality,Java is still lacking on certain platforms. To give but one
example: As a professional I am bound to have Java 6 available (it has
already been dropped from Fedora, and fixing that is quite hard, compared
to just extracting and repckaging the official Oracle binary packages) and
this tends to become harder and harder.

At least my impression is: Providing a repackaged (but complete)
implementation is the lesser evil, compared to a stripped implementation,
of which we usually  won't know precisely what's in it, and what's missing.

Thanks for your attention,

Jochen

--
"That's what prayers are ... it's frightened people trying to make friends
with the bully!"

Terry Pratchett. The Last Hero