RFR: 8177280: @see {@link} syntax should allow generic types

Hannes Wallnoefer HANNES.WALLNOEFER at ORACLE.COM
Wed Apr 8 16:21:02 UTC 2020

Jon,

I uploaded a new webrev for this issue:

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hannesw/8177280/webrev.04/ <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~hannesw/8177280/webrev.04/>

Changes include:

 - updated test to match changes in HTML/CSS
 - added @since 15 tag to new DocTrees method
 - allow parameterised types in signatures of method links

The last item requires a bit more explanation.

It is now possible to link to an executable member specifying parameterised types in the signature, e.g.:

 @see #getItem(List<String>,int)

In contrast to links to parameterized types which generate a link to each type component the member link will generate a single link to the method with the full signature as link text. This is consistent with the current behaviour of @see/@link method linking where parameter types are not separate links but part of the main link.

The support this feature I slightly changed the implementation of private #hasParameterTypes method in JavacTrees to first compare the exact parameter types to a member’s signature before comparing the erased types.

It is possible to  specify subtypes in the reference signature, i.e. a method with parameter (? extends Number) can be linked with the exact declared signature or with valid subtypes such as (Integer). I’m not sure if this is desired, but it seems reasonable and potentially useful to me.

I also removed the fuzzyMatch code in JavacTrees signature comparison. The fuzzyMatch method allowed to use erraneous types such as List<NonExistingClass> in signature lookups. I’m not totally whether some of the behaviour in fuzzyMatch is still desired, but  it was very old code and removal didn’t trigger any test failures.

Hannes