RFR: JDK-8242649 : improve the CSS class names used for summary and details tables

Jonathan Gibbons jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com
Tue Apr 14 20:08:43 UTC 2020

Please review a moderately simple change to clean up the CSS class names
and other minor details in the Table builder class.

Originally, the Table builder "just" built <table> elements.  As part of
the work to better support ARIA, it was changed to create a <div>
element that encloses the <table>, and (when necessary) a <div> element
for the series of tabs.

Currently, the style provided and documented as the style class for the
table is actually used for the outer <div> element, with no style class
being set on the <table> itself.  The primary aspect of this change is
to use a new/separate style class on the <table> element, and a standard
style class on the inner <div> for the tablist.

In addition, the construction of the caption is unified within the Table
builder, allowing us to delete an external method to create the caption.
Related to that, the caption previously contained an invisible <span>
with style class tab-end and just containing  .  This invisible
span has now been removed.

Finally, an /id/ for the tab panel was generated from style /class/ for
the table, which was semantically questionable, since it assumed there
would be only one such table on any page. This is fixed by requiring an
id to be set on the table when there will be a tab panel.  In future, we
may want to simply put an id on all tables created by the builder.

The "core" of the changes are in the Table class; the other changes in
the src/ directory are just consequences of the changes to Table, and
likewise the tests are updated to match.

I made some minor simplifications to the stylesheet, but most of the CSS
for tables is sufficiently irregular that it warrants a separate
follow-up changeset just to clean up the CSS for tables in the main
stylesheet.  I also grouped and commented the styles for tables in the
HtmlStyle class.

There should be no visible changes to the generated API docs.

-- Jon

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jjg/8242649/webrev.00/index.html
API: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jjg/8242649/api.00/index.html