Draft JEP: Time-Based Release Versioning

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 11:11:18 UTC 2017

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 7:11 PM,  <mark.reinhold at oracle.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the comments on my earlier proposal [1].  Here's a draft
> JEP, based on that proposal and the feedback:
>
>   http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/8192828
>
> Further comments welcome!

Hi Mark,

thanks for publishing the draft. Overall it looks good!

I have just a few comment :)

1. Is this JEP (i.e. the new version scheme) intended to be targeted
for Java 10?

I would appreciate to have it in ten but aren't we already quite late?
This is specification relevant (i.e. has to go into JSR 383) because
it changes java.lang.Runtime.Version and various standard system
properties which refer to it. JSR 383 has to be renamed from "Java SE
18.3 Platform JSR" to "Java SE 10 Platform JSR" afterwards, right?

2. In the example output there a space between the date and LTS when
running java --version:

$ java --version
openjdk 11 2018-09-20 LTS

But in the formal definition of the "--version" output there is no space:

$ java --version
openjdk ${java.version} ${java.version.date}${LTS}

I suppose the example output is correct here and there should be a
space between ${java.version.date} and ${LTS} in the formal
definition, right?

3. The same applies to the space between
${java.runtime.name}/${java.vm.name} and ${JVV}

4. Finally, why are the outputs of "-version" and "--version" slightly
different? Is this to retain backwards compatibility with the former
"-version" output? But then why can't "--version" use the exact same
format? Sorry if this has been discussed before. It is obviously not a
crucial factor but I just found it confusing when looking at it.

Regards,
Volker