JDK 10 Rampdown Phase One: Process proposal

mark.reinhold at oracle.com mark.reinhold at oracle.com
Fri Dec 15 16:35:29 UTC 2017

Per the JDK 10 schedule [1], we are now in Rampdown Phase One.  The
overall feature set is frozen.  No further JEPs will be targeted to
this release.

The goal of this phase is the same as it was for JDK 9: Ensure that we
fix the bugs that need to be fixed, and understand why we're not going
to fix some bugs that perhaps ought to be fixed.

I propose that we use the same process as in JDK 9, with one significant
change: From this point forward any further enhancements require advance
approval, using a simple request process along the lines of our other
request processes.  In such a short release cycle there's hardly any
time to repair enhancements gone wrong, so let's keep an eye on them.

I've drafted an RDP 1 page along with bug-deferral and late-enhancement
process pages, based upon the corresponding JDK 9 pages, and posted them
here:

  http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk/10/rdp-1
  http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk/10/bug-deferral-process
  http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk/10/late-enhancement-process

JDK Committers are invited to comment on this process proposal.  If
no objections are raised in one week's time, by 17:00 UTC next Friday,
22 December, then this is the process that we'll use.

Given that we're already in Rampdown Phase One, and that this process
is nearly the same as that for JDK 9, I suggest that we start using
this process immediately, prior to its formal approval.  Let's not make
any negative decisions involving the new aspect of the process, namely
the approval of late enhancements, until the process has been approved.

- Mark

[1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk/10/#Schedule