Proposal: Newer version-string scheme for the Java SE Platform and the JDK

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Thu Nov 2 15:31:27 UTC 2017

On 02/11/17 15:11, mark.reinhold at oracle.com wrote:
>   - $EMERG -- The emergency-release counter, incremented only when it's
>     necessary to produce an emergency release to fix an urgent security
>     issue.

I'd like to modify this slightly because not every critical issue is
an urgent security issue, and we must allow ourselves to fix bugs in a
timely manner.  An example of such a bug would be a crash in the GC
caused by incorrect locking.  Let's not paint ourselves into a corner.

--
Andrew Haley
Java Platform Lead Engineer