Version-string schemes for the Java SE Platform and the JDK

Dave Franken dwfranken at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 07:37:40 UTC 2017

It seems paradoxical to want to have both a rapidly evolving language and LTS-versions.

Personally, I would be okay with having "just releases" containing everything that is releasable, whether it has incompatible features or not, as long as the version number reflects it.
So basically JEP 223. No betas, no milestones, just $MAJOR.$MINOR.$PATCH/$SECURITY.
Every release is stable and has new (possibly breaking) features, improvements, bug fixes, etc, so you can decide to upgrade based purely on the version number alone, telling you the most important information.

We then have to ask ourselves: how many versions are we going to support with security updates?
Say we quickly (within 1 year) arrive at version 11 because version 10 (18.3) has local type inference and 11 (18.9) has value types and at that point we have to do a security update.

Which versions are we going to update? If we keep updating too many old versions, the sense of urgency to move on is lessened.
But if we decide to only support the latest two versions (10 and 11), there is no way to tell how long your version will be supported.

If you are still stuck on 10, it could be 2 years until 12 comes out (ending support for 10), or it could be 6 months, it just depends on what kinds of features are ready at that time.
I'm all for a rapidly evolving language, much of the enterprise is getting ready for it with the use of containerized environments where upgrading Java is just a matter of changing a number somewhere.

I just want to make sure we have ironed out all of the wrinkles before committing ourselves fully.
The version number debate brings to light very important questions that are not strictly related to the version number, but are worth discussing in their own right.

Dave Franken