RFR: JDK-8200083: Bump bootjdk used for JDK 11 at Oracle to JDK 10

Jonathan Gibbons jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com
Thu Apr 5 23:50:18 UTC 2018

On 4/5/18 10:57 AM, Erik Joelsson wrote:
> On 2018-04-05 09:15, Jonathan Gibbons wrote:
>> I think one aspect of this discussion that is important and has been
>> overlooked is that there is no clear statement (specification?)
>> anywhere of the requirements for building OpenJDK. Since forever, the
>> unwritten rule has been N-1 [*] and that assumption has become
>> pervasive. And, as we have seen in this discussion, there are many
>> consequences to changing that assumption.
>>
> I agree that this should be well defined. This practice is currently
> documented in the build documentation in doc/building.md. (See the
> relevant text quoted below.) It is also enforced by configure, with no
> workaround short of editing the script.
>> I think that the decision to change the policy about the boot JDK is
>> too important to hide in an edit in an Oracle-only build
>> configuration file.
>>
> The intention of my second suggested patch was basically to keep
> allowing JDK 9 in configure for a while but being pretty sure it would
> stop working eventually. I don't like doing it that way. It's much
> better with a clear fail early error in configure, but the first
> suggested patch, that did just that, met such hard resistance and not
> a single positive review.

That seems bad, because you're kicking the bucket down the road in a way
that will cause obscure failures because of parts of the system assuming
a boot JDK of 10. I think it is better to  have the "boot JDK policy"
discussion, and to arrive at a decision, and to then follow through on
that decision, updating docs, scripts and source code accordingly.

If the policy is going to change from "use JDK N-1", that new policy
needs to be documented.

If the policy is going to be that "use JDK N-1; you're on your own if
you want to use JDK 9 as a boot JDK" then editing the configure script
is surely going to be the least of the worries.

-- Jon