Merging jdk/hs with jdk/jdk

jesper.wilhelmsson at oracle.com jesper.wilhelmsson at oracle.com
Fri Apr 6 00:37:16 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I've gotten only positive feedback on this suggestion. The next step
is to propose a date and outline the steps needed to go through with
this change.

The proposed date is April 12 (Thursday next week).

The steps are:

1. jdk/hs is closed for pushes at 8 pm PST on April 12. This is when
    the hotspot nightly takes the snapshot of jdk/hs and starts the nightly
    tests. Please note that this is a hard deadline as the system is
    automated and will take the snapshot on time.

2. The Thursday snapshot will then be sent through the regular product
    integration testing (PIT) which runs over the weekend.

3. On Friday, April 13, the hotspot nightly and the hotspot CI (post
    integration testing) will be reconfigured to look at jdk/jdk.

4. The goal is to get the PIT analysis done by Wednesday, April 18.
    At this point the PIT snapshot will be pushed to jdk/jdk.

5. Once the PIT snapshot has been pushed to jdk/jdk, the jdk/jdk
    repository will be open for hotspot changes.

In order to minimize the risk of merge conflicts when pushing the
PIT snapshot to jdk/jdk, we will not open for hotspot changes
until after the snapshot has been pushed.

It is important that everyone that has a new change in the snapshot
are available on Monday / Tuesday (April 16-17) to handle any
problems that might arise as a result of the change. If you know that
you will not be available these days, make sure someone else can
cover your change, or hold your push until after the merge is done.

Thanks,
/Jesper