Draft JEP: Vector API

Viswanathan, Sandhya sandhya.viswanathan at intel.com
Wed Apr 11 22:48:10 UTC 2018

Hi Ningsheng,

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

The Vector API can be used without specifying a concrete shape but instead querying for "preferredVectorSpecies" as noted in the JEP description.  Vector API is aiming to support generic shape coding as much as possible and explicit shape coding where needed by algorithms. Current implementation under OpenJDK project Panama (vectorIntrinsics branch) only implements 64, 128, 256, and 512 bit vectors as 512 bit is the largest vector supported on Intel platforms.

The Java API implementation can be easily extended to support 1024 bit and larger vectors in future by updating the scripts to generate that variant for all of the different types. The tests also have a similar mechanism - so it is straightforward and easy to generate tests for variants of different sizes. Most of the effort needed to support larger vector sizes lies in the architecture specific backend implementation.

This is our attempt to provide vector programming to Java users with efficient tight back-end code generation.

Quoting John Rose from one of the panama-dev posts:
"This is a good time to talk about where the Vector API
might go in the future, and how we are trying to get there.
The short answer is, a long way in small steps.
Getting any kind of tight vector code from Java is a major
accomplishment all by itself, whether the code is shape
agnostic or not.  Removing shape dependencies has always
been on the roadmap, but we have to start somewhere
more concrete.  As you point out, shape-aware code will
probably always be a use case.  I don't think we will get
stuck there, and I look forward, after a few more rounds
with shape-aware code, to working on the problems of
shape-shifting (shape polymorphic) loops."

You might also be interested in ARM SVE related post by Paul Sandoz on panama-dev mailing list archives.
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/panama-dev/2018-March/001199.html

Best Regards,
Sandhya