JEP proposed to target JDK 12: 325: Switch Expressions (Preview)

Ben Evans benjamin.john.evans at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 15:58:29 UTC 2018

I tend to agree with Stephen. In particular, as Brian has so correctly
pointed out, most Java developers over-focus on syntax.

Therefore, it seems likely that, despite marking a syntax-introducing
feature as Preview, early adopters will come to rely on it, and even
put code that uses it into production. This then raises the barrier to
change the syntax of the Preview Feature. This seems to me to be more
pronounced in the case of core language features, as opposed to
incubator libraries and modules (e.g. the HTTP client).

I also want to ask about the balance we're striking between existing
Java developers and newcomers. I would argue that existing Java
developers really don't care whether we have a new keyword ('match')
for an expression form providing equivalent functionality to a switch
statement - existing code needs to be refactored in either case to
take advantage of the new capability.

On the other hand, I've also been spending a lot of time teaching
newcomers to the Java lanaguage over the last year. Given how my
students have struggled with default fallthrough, I can't see how
introducing a syntax form where the fallthrough behaviour depends upon
a minor syntax variation of the switch label is anything other than a
compounding of the original sin of importing default fallthrough from
C/C++. A separate keyword makes it entirely clear that this is a
different language feature and so different behaviour is to be
expected.

I like this version of the proposal better than previous discussions,
but I'm sure in my own mind that as proposed it will be a source of
new bugs that could be avoided. By introducing a new keyword we can
maintain a clean split between the legacy switch and a syntax that can
be cleanly upgraded to full match expressions over subsequent Java
versions (which is actually a much better fit, to my mind, to the
Preview Feature mechanism).

Thanks,

Ben