Informational JEP proposed for review: 12: Incubating Language and VM Features

Brian Goetz brian.goetz at oracle.com
Tue Feb 6 17:37:48 UTC 2018

> This proposal also
> touches the JCP Java SE standardization process so I would suggest to
> synchronize with the JCP EC and the corresponding Expert Groups before
> implementing it in order to avoid surprises late in the
> standardization process.

Of course, we can and will discuss this in the SE platform EG.  But, let
me just add now: while the JEP talks about the role of the JCP and the
SE platform JSR, it does not do so to suggest changes there -- it does
so *to affirm that there are not changes* there.  The JEP takes pains to
categorize incubating features as being like other features in almost
every possible way -- which allows us to build on the existing JCP
process for vetting and ratifying the specification, and for
conformance.  This is, in fact, one of the motivations for the "not
optional" choice -- it means there is a single, complete, well-defined
specification for what it means to be Java SE N, so the process by which
that specification is drafted and ratified (and implementations tested
for conformance) need not change at all.