Informational JEP proposed for review: 12: Incubating Language and VM Features

mark.reinhold at oracle.com mark.reinhold at oracle.com
Thu Mar 22 20:54:10 UTC 2018

2018/1/31 9:04:01 -0800, mark.reinhold at oracle.com:
> This recently-submitted informational JEP has already been discussed
> here in draft form.
>
>   12: Incubating Language and VM Features
>       http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/12
>
> Further comment is invited.  If no objections are raised by 23:00 UTC
> on Wednesday, 7 February, or if they're raised and then satisfactorily
> answered, then per the JEP 2.0 process proposal [1] I'll mark this
> informational JEP as active.

  - Rename "incubating" features to "preview" features, with related
    changes in the command-line options recommended for tools [1];

  - Clarify the relationship of preview features to Java SE APIs [2]
    (see also a discussion on impact to the Language Model API [3]);
    and

  - Clarify the rationale for preview features being supported in all
    Java SE implementations, in line with [4].

At this point, if no further comments are raised by 23:00 UTC on
Thursday, 29 March, or if they're raised and then satisfactorily
answered, then per the JEP 2.0 process proposal [5] I'll mark this
informational JEP as active.

- Mark

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk-dev/2018-February/000807.html
[2] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk-dev/2018-March/000915.html