Proposed implementation of JEP 182 in JDK 11: drop javac support for -source/-target/--release 6

dalibor topic dalibor.topic at oracle.com
Mon May 14 14:51:15 UTC 2018

On 14.05.2018 16:43, Remi Forax wrote:
> Hi Dalibor,

That depends on whether someone steps up to maintain it, or not. We
don't know that yet - it's a question that will only post itself after
the second JDK 10 update. We do know that for 9 no one stepped up to
maintain it after the second update, though, so it's done.

In any case, support for 10 in javac is useful for bootstrapping 11. So
keeping it supported in the 11 javac keeps a botstrapping path available
from 10 to 11.

Since one can't bootstrap 11 with 9, there is no equivalent argument for
keeping support for 9 around. ;)

cheers,
dalibor topic

--
<http://www.oracle.com> Dalibor Topic | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +494089091214 <tel:+494089091214> | Mobile: +491737185961

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Kühnehöfe 5 | 22761 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

<http://www.oracle.com/commitment> Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment