JEP proposed to target JDK 11: 330: Launch Single-File Source-Code Programs

Jonathan Gibbons jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com
Fri May 25 13:55:52 UTC 2018

On 5/25/18 3:18 AM, Mario Torre wrote:
>   On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 1:23 AM, Jonathan Gibbons
> <jonathan.gibbons at oracle.com> wrote:
>> Mario,
>> Regarding your specific proposal for using "here" documents, I do not follow
>> your argument that your example is better for being "proper Java, with all
>> the benefits like debugging, IDE support etc.". At least to a casual
>> observer, the shebang line and the couple of lines to invoke java using a
>> "here" document look very similar: in both cases, there is a cryptic header
>> followed by some Java source code. In both cases the file can be seen as a
>> script that contains Java source code, as compared to a Java source file
>> that is a script.
> The difference is subtle, with the shebang the "#!" is part of the
> java file, with the here syntax it isn't, that means every single line
> you write is actually proper java. One is an invalid .java file
> unrecognized by IDE and compilers, the other is a shell script.

Mario,

I agree with your general concern about polluting Java source files,
which is why we have suggested modifying the feature to prohibit the use
of shebang lines in Java source files, as identified by a filename ending
in ".java". [1]   With this proposed change, the source-file launcher
will only remove shebang lines in files which are not identified as
Java source files, thus drawing a clear distinction between files which
are Java source files and those which are not.   In particular, there
will not be any invalid .java files, unrecognized by IDEs and compilers,
to be worried about.

-- Jon

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk-dev/2018-May/001248.html