TimeZone Updater Tool/Project, where would we put it?

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Mon Dec 2 15:34:37 UTC 2019

I've just tried adding a later tzdb file with the current setup.

* It is possible to set -Djava.time.zone.DefaultZoneRulesProvider and
replace the standard TZDB provider.
* The replacement class cannot just be a clone of
TzdbZoneRulesProvider because it needs access to a restricted
deserialization API in java.time.zone.Ser. (The Java module system
makes this hard to work around)
* Because of the restricted deserialization API, I'd be concerned
about startup time if construction had to go through the main public
API of ZoneRules etc.
* It is not possible to just add a second TZDB provider with a
different version via the service loader. The current design is based
on the idea that a provider owns all the zone identifiers it provides,
and thus no other provider can supply the same zone identifiers.

The original code [1] looked for all files named tzdb.dat on the
classpath, which allowed multiple versions to be loaded just by adding
to the classpath. This ability was lost during integration, so there
is a need to change the JDK code to find a way to get a modular jar to
work well. It will need a bit of design work I suspect.

My desire is that updating tzdb should be as easy as updating any
other maven artifact. One possible approach would be for the
TzdbZoneRulesProvider to use a second service loader call to get the
actual tzdb .dat files.

Stephen

[1] https://github.com/ThreeTen/threetenbp/blob/master/src/main/java/org/threeten/bp/zone/TzdbZoneRulesProvider.java#L158