JDK 13 enters Rampdown Phase One next week

mark.reinhold at oracle.com mark.reinhold at oracle.com
Thu Jun 6 15:49:26 UTC 2019

JDK 13 enters Rampdown Phase One next week, on Thursday, 13 June.
Changes intended for JDK 13 should be in the main-line repository
(https://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk) by 16:00 UTC on that day [1].

At that time we’ll fork jdk/jdk to the JDK 13 stabilization repository,
jdk/jdk13, and promote next week’s build (jdk-13+25) and all remaining
JDK 13 builds from there.

We'll semi-automatically merge changes pushed to jdk/jdk13 into the
main-line jdk/jdk repository, as we have in previous feature-release
transitions.  This means that:

  - If you make a change in JDK 13 then you needn't do any extra
    work to get it into the main line, though if a merge conflict
    arises then you might be asked to help resolve it.

  - If you need to make a change in both JDK 13 and the main line
    then just push it to JDK 13, and wait for the automatic merge
    to complete.

Changes pushed to jdk/jdk after 16:00 UTC next Thursday will be bound
for JDK 14 only, unless they're back-ported.

The jdk/submit repo will continue to be for main-line (jdk/jdk) work.
We’ll set up a jdk/submit13 repo for jdk/jdk13 work.

The Rampdown Phase One process is defined in JEP 3 [2].

- Mark

[1] https://time.is/1600_13_Jun_2019_in_UTC?JDK_13_Rampdown_Phase_One
[2] https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/3