[Java 10 - 11 - 12 ] JDK-8210457 : JVM crash in ResolvedMethodTable::add_method(Handle)

Langer, Christoph christoph.langer at sap.com
Fri Mar 8 08:10:22 UTC 2019

Hi Nethanel,

> Since JDK 10 (Tested up to 11), the JVM is crashing as noted in OpenJDK bug
> list:
> https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8210457.
> This issue is affecting our ability to support those versions.
> 1. What are the changes cause this crash to appear? (maybe link to a
> commit).
> 2. Is this crash will be fixed for version 10, 11 and 12? (I saw the fix
> intended for JDK 13).

I can see that the fix for this issue is quite young. It just went in to the jdk/jdk codebase (OpenJDK 13) a few days ago. You should probably ask your questions on the serviceability-dev and/or hotspot-runtime-dev mailing lists since the fix was discussed there.

At the end, I think the fix could be backported to upcoming update releases of JDK11 and JDK12 (JDK10 is out of maintenance). But as it seems it's not a small and trivial fix (It does not even apply straight on the jdk12u codebase), you'll have to ask on the mentioned mailing lists for a sponsors of these backports who will do the work of integrating and testing.

Best regards
Christoph