Feedback on javadoc UI changes

Hannes Wallnöfer hannes.wallnoefer at oracle.com
Thu Oct 10 10:39:12 UTC 2019

Thanks for the feedback, Alex.

> Am 09.10.2019 um 20:33 schrieb Alex Buckley <alex.buckley at oracle.com>:
>
> On 10/9/2019 10:29 AM, Hannes Wallnöfer wrote:
>
> People should remember that the search bar often contains overview information of its own -- not on the top-level javadoc page, but on module and class pages. Having that always visible is very useful on module and class pages. It would be even more useful if the "SUMMARY:" part on a class page had a "DESCRIPTION" link to get you back to the top, like the "SUMMARY:" part on a module page has.

I agree about the section links - I was considering linking directly to a class page instead of the overview page to make these links more visible (and also because class pages are what people presumably spend most time on).

I also agree there should be a DESCRIPTION or TOP link to go up to the top of the page. Very good points.

>> - Which version is best for navigating to an anchor within a page (e.g. member search or internal links)?
>
> I think #2 has a serious problem. If you scroll, and then hit any key,
> then the search box grabs focus -- this is useful on the many occasions when you want to search, but it means that keyboard shortcuts such as Ctrl-C are pre-empted. Specifically, if I select text anywhere on the javadoc page with the mouse, then press Ctrl-C, I see focus jump to the search box; if I then switch to another program to paste in the copied text (to quote it in an email, say), then I find the clipboard is empty, nothing was copied, Ctrl-C was pre-empted. For this reason, I disregard #2.

This shouldn’t really happen. Search should activate only on plain character keys, not Ctrl/Cmd keyboard shortcuts. I’ll try to reproduce the issue on Firefox/Windows. However, the whole focus grabbing is certainly a potential source of confusion/problems.

Hannes