jdk/jdk repository transitions to Git, GitHub and Skara: September 5

Erik Helin erik.helin at oracle.com
Wed Aug 12 06:54:23 UTC 2020

Hi all,

We are now getting closer to the jdk/jdk repository [0] transitioning to
Git, GitHub and Skara. JEP 357 [0] and JEP 369 [1] were targeted to JDK
16 at the end of May 2020 [2]. It was then also communicated that the
jdk/jdk repository would transition "early September 2020" [3].

The exact target date for the transition of the jdk/jdk repository is
now set to Saturday September 5, 2020. We aim to complete the transition
during the weekend of September 5 - 6, 2020. Starting from September 4
the Mercurial repository for jdk/jdk [0] will become read-only and the
Git repository for jdk/jdk [5] will become read-write on Monday September 7.

If you are an OpenJDK Author, Committer or Reviewer, then please make
sure you that you are ready for the transition by following the "Getting
Started" guide on the Skara wiki [7]. In particular, make sure that you
associate your GitHub username and OpenJDK username, see the "Getting
Started" guide for details. Feel free to try out the new tools and make
sure that everything works in the OpenJDK playground repository [8].

For those of you doing backports to jdk-updates repositories there is a
Skara CLI tool, git hg-export, that will export commits from an OpenJDK
Git repository in a format expected by hg and the OpenJDK Mercurial
repositories [9]. A "clean" backport of a Git commit looks like the
following:

$ git clone https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk
$ git -C jdk hg-export <REV> | hg -R /path/to/hg/repo import

As part of transitioning the jdk/jdk repository we will also transition
the jdk/client repository [6]. There is work ongoing that might result
in jdk/client being archived instead of transitioned, but that work is
not guaranteed to be done by September 5. We will send out more details
on this as we get closer.

The jdk/submit [10] repository will not be transitioned, the equivalent
functionality is provided by the /test pull request command [11].

There are continuously updated read-only mirrors of the jdk/jdk [5],
jdk/client [12] and jdk/sandbox [13] repositories available if you want
to create personal forks ahead of the transition. Note that the
jdk/jdk15 [14] repository will stay on Mercurial as well as the
jdk-updates/jdk15u [15] repository (at least for the time being).

If you have any questions just send an email to skara-dev at openjdk.java.net!

Thanks,
Erik and Robin

[0]: https://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk