jdk/jdk repository transitions to Git, GitHub and Skara: September 5

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 15:43:40 UTC 2020

Hi Erik,

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 11:13 AM Erik Helin <erik.helin at oracle.com> wrote:

> On 8/27/20 10:24 AM, Thomas Stüfe wrote:
> > Hi Erik,
>
> Hi Thomas, hope you are doing well!

Why thank you, I hope you guys do too :)

> On 8/27/20 10:24 AM, Thomas Stüfe wrote:
> > Will jdk/sandbox be affected or will that continue to work after the
> > transition (and continue being synced with jdk/jdk)?
>
> The Mercurial repositories jdk/sandbox [0] and jdk/jdk [1] will both
> become read-only on Sep 4. There is already a read-only Git mirror for
> the Mercurial jdk/sandbox repository available at:
>
>     https://git.openjdk.java.net/jdk-sandbox
>
> This Git mirror is currently read-only, but on Sep 5 it will become
> read-write (and will no longer be a mirror). All JDK Committers and
> above [2] will be given direct write access to the Git jdk-sandbox
> repository [4] on Sep 5. We won't give you direct write access prior to
> Sep 5 as it might interfere with the mirroring. Note that you will not
> be given direct write access to the jdk Git repository [3], instead you
> will use so-called "pull requests" for contributing changes to the jdk
> Git repository. See the "Workflow" section on the Skara wiki for more
> details [5].
>
> And yes, we will continue to automatically sync the master branch of the
> Git jdk repository [3] to the master branch of the Git jdk-sandbox
> repository [4].
>
> If you have any more questions, just let me know!

My current work involves working in a named branch at jdk/submit, roughly
following this flow:
- committing my changes locally, rather fine grained into my own branch
- from time to time pushing up to the central hg sandbox repo
- from time to time pulling in new changes and merging from the default
branch
- from time to time creating diffs for reviews

I am currently trying to figure out how this approach will change with git
and github. I know there are subtle differences in the branching concept
between hg and git. I found
https://medium.com/@tmvvr/git-for-longtime-mercurial-users-c41f37352fca,
which is a good explanation, if somewhat short. Also good and short is
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/Git-hg-rosetta-stone. However, many
things are still vague and I guess this will only clear up once I switch.

- You write committers have write access to jdk/sandbox, so I can continue
to push my changes in my branch up into the central repository, yes? Will
the default branch be protected against accidental pushes, like I believe
we did for the hg sandbox?
- In mercurial I can filter for changes local to my branch via -b (hg log
-b <branch name>). Is this possible in git too, since there, a branch AFAIU
is only a pointer to a single commit?

I am sure more questions will come once the switch is reality...

Thanks a lot!

Cheers, Thomas