Request for assistance: Verify and update mailing list filter rules for jdk/jdk in preparation for Skara transition

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Fri Aug 28 00:43:07 UTC 2020

On 28/08/2020 8:44 am, Thomas Stüfe wrote:
> Hi Robin,
>
> FWIW I agree with David and Jesper.
>
> IMHO any automated system will not be sufficient. It should only generate
> coarse grained proposals, and the developer should be able to manually
> cull, extend or completely overwrite them. Especially for broader changes
> which only touch a few lines per file, e.g. cleanups, I would really
> dislike auto-crossposting to a large number of lists. Also, there are many
> cases where the correct list is not clear - e.g. changes inside
> hotspot/share/jfr may be better suited for hotspot-runtime or hotspot-dev
> instead of jfr, depending on what is changed. This is especially true for
> changes to os-port files.
>
> I think that the json files are way too expansive, and fear the effort to
> maintain them would outgrow the effort to direct newcomers to the new
> mailing list.
>
> Like Igor I also would prefer some sort of notation in-tree instead of a
> separate control file in a different repo (how would that work with
> different jdk repositories?).
>
> Maybe a simple stupid mechanism with the ability to redefine targets at
> deeper folders or at files would be more concise. For example,
> pragmatically everything inside "hotspot" could be runtime, unless
> "hotspot/share/gc", which would be gc, "hotspot/share/compiler" would be
> compiler, "hotspot/share/jfr" would be jfr, hotspot/os/<xx> could be <xxx>
> port... I don't even see a need for regular expressions tbh.

There's also serviceability-dev (where the line with runtime is often
very blurred).

The os and cpu directories are very tricky to classify on a file basis
as the the files do not clearly delineate functional areas that map to
mailing lists. In many cases it is the nature of the change that
dictates which MLs should be getting the RFR. And we don't really have
any guidelines for when to use hotspot-dev versus one or more
hotspot-x-dev lists. There is a subjectivity here that is not amenable
to automated classification without reorganising files/directories in a
way that reflects the ML granularity (and I certainly would not want to
see that kind of churn).

Also we don't have xxx_port mailing lists for all xxx, and those lists
are intended for discussion of porting projects, not mainline issues
that affect platform specific code per-se. Though Aarch64 is blurring
that distinction these days (just an observation not a criticism).

Cheers,
David