JDK 17: First Release Candidate

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Sun Aug 15 12:25:47 UTC 2021

Hi Florian,

Just to follow up on a different point ...

On 14/08/2021 7:23 pm, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * David Holmes:
>
>> Hi Matthias,

>>> this fails to build with glibc 2.34, i.e. on recent Fedora and
>>> Ubuntu
>>> development versions:
>>> /<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/test/hotspot/jtreg/runtime/StackGuardPages/exeinvoke.c:
>>> In
>>> function 'set_signal_handler':
>>> /<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/test/hotspot/jtreg/runtime/StackGuardPages/exeinvoke.c:72:15:
>>> error: storage size of 'altstack' isn't constant
>>>      72 |   static char altstack[SIGSTKSZ];
>>>         |               ^~~~~~~~
>>> gmake[4]: *** [test/JtregNativeHotspot.gmk:1525:
>>> /<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/build/support/test/hotspot/jtreg/native/support/exeinvoke/exeinvoke.o]
>>> Error 1
>>
>> That seems like a glibc bug to me as SIGSTKSZ is supposed to be a constant.
>
> It is still a constant in glibc's POSIX mode, but OpenJDK does not use
> POSIX mode (with good reason).

Can you elaborate on what that good reason is please? If this is
something critical then it really needs to be documented somewhere. It
makes me uncomfortable that we have spent a lot of time cleaning up
hotspot runtime code to provide shared "posix" implementations, if we
may not even be getting Posix semantics.

Thanks,
David