Building jdk on OS/X

Rony G. Flatscher Rony.Flatscher at wu.ac.at
Sun Aug 15 12:50:47 UTC 2021

On 14.08.2021 17:22, Michael Hall wrote:
> Seeing the recent comments on build problems I was curious enough to try building on OS/X.
> I followed the directions here…
> https://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk-updates/jdk9u/raw-file/tip/common/doc/building.html <https://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk-updates/jdk9u/raw-file/tip/common/doc/building.html>
> I get errors like…
>
> === Output from failing command(s) repeated here ===
> * For target buildtools_buildtools_hotspot_tools_classes__the.BUILD_TOOLS_HOTSPOT_batch:
> warning: [path] bad path element "/Library/Frameworks/BSF4ooRexx.framework/Classes/bsf4ooRexx-v641-20190830-bin.jar": no such file or directory
> warning: [path] bad path element "/Applications/OpenOffice.app/Contents/program/classes/ridl.jar": no such file or directory
> warning: [path] bad path element "/Applications/OpenOffice.app/Contents/program/classes/jurt.jar": no such file or directory
> warning: [path] bad path element "/Applications/OpenOffice.app/Contents/program/classes/juh.jar": no such file or directory
> warning: [path] bad path element "/Applications/OpenOffice.app/Contents/program/classes/unoil.jar": no such file or directory
> warning: [path] bad path element "/Applications/OpenOffice.app/Contents/program": no such file or directory
> warning: [path] bad path element "/Library/Frameworks/BSF4ooRexx.framework/Classes/bsf4ooRexx-v641-20191126-bin.jar": no such file or directory
> error: warnings found and -Werror specified
> 1 error
> 7 warnings
>
> First try I moved the concerned application (OpenOffice.app) and framework (BSF4ooRexx.framework) out of the way. The error persisted. Seeing that make clean removed make but not config files I removed the jdk directory and cloned the repository again and the error persisted.
> After spending some time trying to determine how to change compile options to eliminate the 'warnings as error' it occurred to me that these are not compile errors and no compiler option change will probably be a fix.
>
> My questions are…
>
> Where is these files having been present persisted?
>
> Why does building the jdk have anything to do with them?

If the errors/warnings occurred while BSF4ooRexx and OpenOffice were available, I would not know why
that would be.

After you removed them I would assume that CLASSPATH gets still set because of /etc/profile
containing its definitions pointing at the BSF4ooRexx and OpenOffice/LibreOffice jar files. Just
delete them manually (these statements usually appear at the end and carry a needle comment to ease
spotting them and using "grep -v" to remove them; newer versions for MacOS wil also add the same
CLASSPATH statements to ~/.zshenv (as newer versions of MacOS default to zsh).

---rony

P.S.: You will find newer versions of BSF4ooRexx at
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/bsf4oorexx/files/beta/20200928/>, currently the MacOS support gets
extended to universal libraries, also the installation scripts get changed in the process. New
install packages are imminent and will carry "20210815" or later in their name.