Clarification regarding the GitHub Actions pre-submit testing

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Wed Mar 17 11:42:43 UTC 2021

There have been a lot of questions and uncertainty about the recently
enabled GitHub Actions pre-submit testing. Let me clarify a few points
about these GHA tests.

* It is not a requirement to have green results from GHA tests to
integrate a fix. Nothing in the OpenJDK bylaws, or the JDK project rules
requires this.

* That being said, you should of course only integrate correct and
working code. If you believe GHA is a tool for you to discover bugs, by
all means, use it. But if it shows up red, that does not mean *in
itself* that your code is broken.

* The Build Team will not engage in solving problems with building or
running tests on GHA machines. We have no access to these machines, and
no ability to fix problems with them. Any requests to fix issues with
GHA will be ignored.

* Oracle employees should not engage with GHA issues. Oracle has its own
internal, and much superior, building and testing system. Oracle
employees should use and rely on this system for building and testing
code, instead of GHA.

/Magnus