JEP411: Missing use-case: Monitoring / restricting libraries

Peter Firmstone peter.firmstone at zeus.net.au
Wed May 5 12:23:03 UTC 2021

On 5/05/2021 10:08 am, Ron Pressler wrote:
> I wouldn’t say Java (or anything else, for that matter) is “able" to do it now, except in the sense that people (scientists) are
> able (in a billion-dollar particle accelerator) to transmute lead into gold (a few atoms). We’ve had twenty five years to convince the world this could work, the world isn’t buying, and our job isn’t to sell ideas but to serve millions of developers by giving them
> what we believe they need now, not what we wished they wanted.
>
> — Ron

We just want our software to work Ron, we invest years of time and
effort, we just want it to work.  We don't want to have to test and
rework it for every Java release, you are creating too much maintenance
for us to keep up with.

You'll be serving fewer and fewer developers as more and more are left
behind as breakages accumulate.  I was at least keeping up and testing
newer releases, even though we still only build on Java 8.

Last I checked the stats, 58% were using Java 8, 23% using Java 11 and
6% of developers using 12 or newer.

I think you'll have trouble selling it as you say, we won't have time to
learn and implement new language features if we're too busy fixing
breakages.

Hard life creates hard people, hard people create easy life, easy life
creates soft people, soft people create hard life.

--
Regards,

Peter Firmstone
My personal opinion only.