New candidate JEP: 434: Foreign Function & Memory API (Second Preview)

Maurizio Cimadamore maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com
Fri Oct 28 14:08:32 UTC 2022

On 28/10/2022 01:01, Maurizio Cimadamore wrote:

> But, we're also exploring interim ways for developers to more easily
> build jextract, by "bootstrapping" the jextract 20 build with the 19
> binary. After all, the big issue when building jextract is getting the
> correct libclang dependency - but that doesn't change across jextract
> version.
>
> So, stay tuned, we might have more news soon!

Hi,
I realized that I probably misread your request: while we can make it
easier to build the "latest" jextract, you will still need to builld the
JDK to go with it manually (since there's no binary snapshot for the
latest panama repo). So, if you are in a position where you cannot
easily build your own JDK (e.g. from the Panama repository [1]), your
best move would be to wait until the first Java 20 EA build containing
the new FFM bits appears (typically this occurs around a week after the
PR is integrated).

Cheers
Maurizio

[1] - https://github.com/openjdk/panama-foreign