[External] : Re: JEP draft: Prepare to Restrict The Use of JNI

Attila Kelemen attila.kelemen85 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 15:35:48 UTC 2023

> > Yes, and now many people proposed basically the same thing, that the
> > main module should be able to declare it.
>
> Other people have not proposed "basically the same thing", because they
> insist that modules have a way to enable JNI with even _zero_ flags from
> the user. For example, Glavo said:
>
> "3. If the main module requires native access, it is allowed without the
> --enable-native-access."
>
> The difference between zero and one is all the difference in the world.
> Zero flags means that the user is not aware of the risks posed by native
> code to the application they are running. The whole point of this JEP is
> to ensure the user is aware of the risks.

That is a completely invalid argument. I wrote "many people proposed
basically the same thing", and then you try to refute it by stating that
there was one guy who didn't. This is a non-sequitur. Secondly, your claim
is not even true, because Glavo wanted to set a flag in the main module.
That is not zero flag no matter how I count it.