[External] : Re: JEP draft: Prepare to Restrict The Use of JNI

Andrew Dinn adinn at redhat.com
Wed Aug 30 08:36:53 UTC 2023

On 29/08/2023 18:24, Peter Tribble wrote:
> And that's what I see as the problem here. There are no possible actions
> that will improve the ecosystem or the software. There is no better path
> that developers/users get guided towards. The only possible course of
> action is to --enable-native-access and carry on.
Actually, no. The other possible course of action is not to use the
application. You actually said the same in the paragraph preceding the
one I quoted.

That *is* a real choice. Users who are especially conscious of, say,
security concerns, or data integrity concerns, might very well regards
the need to pass --enable-native-access as a red flag and not run any
such application.

The same story applies here as with applications that require, say,
dynamic agent loading. Users of the Byteman BMUnit package are generally
happy to enable agent hoisting in a system test environment and
willingly pass the relevant command line option to enable it. Many of
them carry that same blithe unconcern through to a deployed application
runtime and profit from attaching the Byteman agent when their
application manifests failures or other unexpected behaviour. However,
quite rightly, the deployer of the application has the ability to
guarantee that such an option is not available at deployment time.

regards,

Andrew Dinn