Proposed JEP - Deprecate the Windows x86-32 Port

Glavo zjx001202 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 12:08:12 UTC 2023

I have seen many Intel Celeron N/J machines with memory <4GiB. Although
x86-32 is old, its non-heap memory footprint is lower, so it works better
under resource constraints.

And although Windows 11 does not provide 32-bit images, as far as I know,
Microsoft does not plan to give up support for running 32-bit programs on
64-bit systems.
32-bit programs are still an important part of Windows, a large number of
programs are still 32-bit.
For a considerable number of client applications, upgrading to 64-bit has
only negative benefits.
They only need a little memory and are not sensitive to performance.
What will 64-bit bring to them? Higher resource consumption and poor
compatibility (cannot run on x86-32 or Windows 10 on Arm systems)

I know that maintaining a port requires a lot of manpower, so I can't ask
you to do anything. But I really hope it will continue to be maintained.