New candidate JEP: 451: Prepare to Disallow the Dynamic Loading of Agents

Ron Pressler ron.pressler at oracle.com
Fri May 19 14:43:38 UTC 2023

Because the discussion of this JEP has veered in many directions, let me summarise where we are:

This JEP proposes to emit a suppressible warning when a JVM TI or Java agent is loaded into a JVM sometime after startup through the Attach mechanism.

The warning helps make users aware that an agent has been injected into the JVM and identify deployments that may need adjustment in advance of any future changes to disallow agents from being dynamically loaded without the application's consent. The warning will also let us better judge the impact of such a future change.

— Ron