New candidate JEP: 458: Launch Multi-File Source-Code Programs

David Alayachew davidalayachew at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 16:28:03 UTC 2023

Hello Mark,

Thank you very much for sending this!

This will be a god-send for those of us on the tutoring side. Being able to
just "java YourCode.java" makes things so much easier to teach the
students. Every time I am with them and we get to the point of refactoring,
they always have a terrible experience because, and I quote, "It feels like
breaking things up just makes it more complicated for no reason".

Trying to instill good habits is frustrating for them because the level of
effort to do the best long term thing is much higher than just stuffing it
all into a file that's >1k lines long. Limiting the change to just sticking
it in the new class (file), then calling that class makes the abstraction
that much more seamless. It also will have a big benefit for me in my every
day programming as well.

Thank you all for putting this together!
David Alayachew