JEP proposed to target JDK 22: 454: Foreign Function & Memory API

Alan Snyder javalists at cbfiddle.com
Mon Oct 9 17:19:49 UTC 2023

> On Oct 9, 2023, at 8:51 AM, Maurizio Cimadamore <maurizio.cimadamore at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> In the current world, there is _no way_ for applications (e.g. pure Java ones) to guarantee that memory safety is not going to be compromised by any of their 3rd, 4th or 5th party dependencies. We would like to change that.

But the proposed solution means there is no way for applications to guarantee that they won’t crash at runtime because
some nth level dependency tries to load native code.

The concern is that there appears to be a strong temptation to make this transitory solution permanent without solving the issue of
"the lack of a mechanism to propagate the native access permissions from a module to its dependencies”.