Minor thoughts (Re: [External] : Re: JEP draft: Prepare to Restrict The Use of JNI

Attila Kelemen attila.kelemen85 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 16:07:45 UTC 2023

> But the incentive for using modules in the first place is to have
> individual control over modules (compartmentalisation) as opposed to the
> entire application as a big ball of mud. If you opt in for individual
> control over modules and compartmentalisation by using the module path, why
> would the assumption be that you’re looking for an easy opt-out from the
> very effect that modules are intended to provide?

Basically, I have plans within the company which will require people to
modularize their application (modules provide me with quite a bit more than
what I could do with class loaders). This is only starting to be relevant
now, because people just recently started to move away from Java 8 (which
seems to be a global phenomenon confirmed by my experience of having
interviewed hundreds of average devs from around the globe). So, the
problem is that these people are unlikely to be very keen to modularize
their app in the first place, and giving them an extra thing to point at
(and people are very quick to find excuses), and my experience is that such
an excuse potential will make my goal of convincing people a *lot* more
difficult.