New candidate JEP: 484: Class-File API

Archie Cobbs archie.cobbs at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 16:49:26 UTC 2024

Question... would it be appropriate for this JEP to mention that support
for older-than-current classfile versions is an explicit non-goal?

Otherwise I think there could be many repeats of this discussion
<https://mail.openjdk.org/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2024-August/127982.html>
from the other day.

To be clear, I don't disagree with the design choice, I just think it might
be worthwhile to address that point directly and clarify the thinking
behind it so there's no ambiguity.

As it's written today, a casual reading of the JEP comes across as if we're
talking about a great new JDK-sanctioned tool with state of the art design
that will help get all of the classfile manipulation libraries on the same
page to allow analysis/transformation of any class file on the classpath.
Or at least, it doesn't do anything to dispel that notion (unless I'm
missing something).

-Archie

--
Archie L. Cobbs