7u40: Request for approval for CR 8013434 - Xalan and Xerces internal ObjectFactory need rework

huizhe wang huizhe.wang at oracle.com
Mon Jun 10 15:13:17 PDT 2013

Hi Sean,

It was on my request that Daniel took the trouble to make the backports
on this and several of his previous JDK8 changes. Past experience with
6u during jdk7 development showed that it was very beneficial keeping
the two in sync.

For this particular one, the behavioral change exists only
theoretically.  The original implementation allowed plugging-in a third
party impl of DTMManager and/or XSLTCDTMManager, but it has become an
obsolete design. The only known impl was in an old version of IBM SDK
that was for IBM only.  In reality, the plugin layer is most often a
performance drag and people actually set a System Property to point to
the default JDK implementation to avoid reading the service file.

So I think this change is beneficial to JDK7.  It's a performance
improvement. It helps keeping it in sync with JDK8 source. It also
removes lot of obsolete, unused code.

Thanks,
Joe