Review request: New man page files

Joe Darcy joe.darcy at oracle.com
Tue Jun 18 17:02:21 PDT 2013

Hello Alexey,

On 6/18/2013 12:49 AM, alexey zhebel wrote:
> We are moving to a new process for generating man pages. I checked in
> the two that changed for 7u40 (java and jcmd):
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~azhebel/8016767/
>
> Please review.
>
> Note that the copyright/license information format was approved by
> Donald Smith who worked with legal.

On that final point, under the proposed change, the copyright line and
the start of the license are not contiguous. There are a number of
intervening lines:

    3 .\"     Arch: generic
    4 .\"     Software: JDK 7
    5 .\"     Date: 6 August 2013
    6 .\"     SectDesc: Basic Tools
    7 .\"     Title: java.1

The convention for basically every other file with a copyright and
license statement under source code control in the OpenJDK repositories
is that the copyright + license must be at the top of the file and be
contiguous.

 From an engineering perspective, I think it is neither necessary nor
desirable to grant to an exception to this rule for man pages even if it
is acceptable to Don.

-Joe