Warnings Cleanup in java.util.<various> (more from hack day)

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Sat Dec 3 03:03:06 PST 2011

On 03/12/2011 00:49, John Rose wrote:
> :
>
> If you remove 900 warnings, there is a good chance of causing some sort of bug. ( http://blogs.oracle.com/jrose/entry/three_software_proverbs )
>
> The 900 warnings may be masking other bugs, so we take the risk.

Alexandre (Sasha) Boulgakov spent his summer internship in Oracle this
year working on javac warnings in the jdk repository. He contributed
changes that whacked about 2800 warnings, mostly in the security
classes, areas around the core libraries, and tools used in the build.
Off-hand, I can only think of one bug that surfaced a bit later so full
credit to Sasha and the reviewers/sponsors of his changes. I guess part
of the reason is that a significant bulk of the changes (esp. the raw
types warnings) didn't change the generated code. That plus if we if are
careful with the reviews and run the tests for the area then I would
hope that the current effort won't introduce issues either.  On the
other hand, if we were tackling the native code warnings then it would
be a different story.

-Alan.