Shouldn't Optional be Serializable?

Vitaly Davidovich vitalyd at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 16:32:48 PDT 2013

Presumably because you may want to have class fields that express
nullability via Optional rather than null.  Whether that's a good design or
not is a separate question; conceptually, I don't see a reason why Optional
cannot support that.  For "reference", Google Guava's version is
serializable.  If someone were to replace their use with jdk's Optional
then they will hit exceptions if the owner class is serialized.

Sent from my phone