RFD: Draft guidelines for working on jdk8u

Gustavo Romero gromero at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Feb 11 15:53:24 UTC 2019

Hello Andrew,

On 02/07/2019 04:01 PM, Andrew Haley wrote:
> OpenJDK 8 is a long-term stable release of OpenJDK. Our primary goal
> is to maintain it, fixing significant bugs and especially security
> problems as we go along. The "first, do no harm" principle applies: we
> must not break things.
>
> We do not yet have much experience with our test systems, so for the
> first couple of quarters we should be very cautious. Later on we can
> be more adventurous, but for now it's "bug fixes only".

As we've briefly discussed, we planned to backport some PPC64-only
enhancements, like for AES BE, SHA2, and CRC32 intrinsics to jdk8u.

Thus I would like to know if we can have a different policy for
such a kind of changes confined to a single port and hence add a
text about it in the draft guidelines for working on jdk8u.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Gustavo