RFD: Draft guidelines for working on jdk8u

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Thu Feb 21 09:23:27 UTC 2019

On 2/21/19 12:58 AM, Langer, Christoph wrote:

>>> I'd rather prefer if the repository in the dark will regularly be
>>> refreshed from jdk8u and at the end of the CPU release be merged
>>> back to the open.

>> I don't think that's practical. Those working on the CPU have
>> enough work to do with backporting and testing without having to
>> continually do integration work from jdk8u. It should be frozen at
>> the time the snapshot is taken and only explicit exceptions pushed
>> after that point.

> The stabilization repository will always be virtually frozen. Only
> explicit exceptions of the types I have named above will ever be
> allowed in the release repository. So I would not expect too much of
> integration issues.

If the repo is virtually frozen, then there's nothing to be gained by
regularly refereshing from it. It's risking occasional breakage for no
signitificant gain.

> You can also start considerably later with the CPU compared to the
> time of the fork from dev to stabilization.

I don't think it does much good to specualte about possible future
needs. If we have problems that we need to solve with automation we'll
do that.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Haley