8u/11u repo access and Jira changes

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 20:04:17 UTC 2019

On 2/26/19 7:46 PM, Aleksey Shipilev wrote:

> Maintainers basically subscribe themselves for maintenance
> chores. There are two ways to deal with the additional work: a)
> Elect/designate more maintainers; b) Authorize _someone else_, not
> necessarily a maintainer, to push to stable tree; this gets us out
> of this maintainer-committer dichotomy to begin with.

I would prefer b), at least in theory.

> I have no energy to fight it, though. If you want to keep stable
> tree pushable for everyone, fine. I do reserve the right to say
> "told you so" every time the

Oh, sure, it'll probably happen.

> "Oops, I pushed to the wrong tree, sorry" thread appears, requiring
> the backout, cleaning up the hgupdater mess in JIRA (I don't even
> want to think how backouts work with backports...), and perhaps
> invalidating the testing done for the stable release (which are also
> time-sensitive, tick-tock...) ;)

I'm prepared to be proved wrong.

Maybe it's a cultural thing. I've worked on other large-scale free
software projects (GCC, in particular) where it just wasn't an issue
because people knew when they should be working on a release branch
and it simply wasn't an issue, but equally it was obvious which were
the release branches. Perhaps people working on OpenJDK aren't up to
it. :-)

--
Andrew Haley
Java Platform Lead Engineer