openjdk8u211 tag

Andrew Hughes gnu.andrew at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 22:07:35 UTC 2019

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 at 19:22, Gil Tene <gil at azul.com> wrote:

> Given the proposed process for the 8u quarterly releases going forward, I think that 8u212 would we the proper
> tag for the actual April release under such a process. [See separate discussion under "Numbering of updates in
> future 8u quarterly releases" (e.g. https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/jdk8u-dev/2019-February/008564.html)
> where we seem to have a quiet consensus that using the 8uXX2 numbers is the least-bad choice for now]
>
> I guess we could have two tags (8u211 and 8u212) to distinguish the presumably security-related stuff from other
> things as has been done traditionally, and just assume that everything tagged 8u211 is also included in the 8u212
> release.
>
> Or just one for both, which should probably be 8u212.
>
> Which will be more confusing?
>
> > On Feb 26, 2019, at 10:48 AM, Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Comments?
> >
> > --
> > Andrew Haley
> > Java Platform Lead Engineer
> > Red Hat UK Ltd. <https://www.redhat.com>
> > EAC8 43EB D3EF DB98 CC77 2FAD A5CD 6035 332F A671
> > <openjdk8u211 tag.eml>
>
> > Begin forwarded message:
> >
> > From: "Hohensee, Paul" <hohensee at amazon.com>
> > Subject: openjdk8u211 tag
> > Date: February 26, 2019 at 10:17:51 AM PST
> > To: Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com>
> >
> > Noticed it replacing the openjdk8u tag. I thought there wasn’t going to be an OpenJDK 8u211, only a u212?
> >
> > Paul

I guess this is my fault, because I'm still used to only really
thinking about the odd releases. We've
never shipped even releases because they simply weren't available to
do so until after embargo.
Also, I believe the position from Oracle was that "PSU" releases
should only be used if a specific
bug fix was needed early.

I don't think it really makes a great difference. The perception I had
that Oracle were only using 8u211
in the referenced e-mail has since been proved wrong;
shows 8u211, 8u212, 8u221 and 8u222 all in use (goodness knows why
they need backports to all of those!)
--
Andrew :)

Senior Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Web Site: http://fuseyism.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/gnu_andrew_java
PGP Key: ed25519/0xCFDA0F9B35964222 (hkp://keys.gnupg.net)
Fingerprint = 5132 579D D154 0ED2 3E04  C5A0 CFDA 0F9B 3596 4222